Tuesday, February 05, 2008

"The Steamroller and the Violin" (Language - Russian) (1961) - Movie Review

If a 43 minute film of Tarkovsky is going to make me impatient, I do not know what else I can talk about this director, who is hailed as the cinematic Beethoven. His work appeal to me only as a dull, unenergetic and irritatingly sedative random somber walk in the dark and never gets through the skull of mine. I had some moments to relinquish on the art and camera work, but did not sum up into an impressive film.

This short feature film was the work he did for his diploma work along with a fellow student, Andrei Konchalavsky, the co-writer. It follows the unusual friendship between a steam roller operator Sergei (Vladimir Zamansky) and a kid named Sasha (Igor Fomchenko) from socially higher class who wanders with his violin. Sergei saves Sasha from the regular bully of his street kids which pulls Sasha towards Sergei. Sergei responds too allowing him a ride in his steam roller. Before that, we see Sasha taking his music class wherein we have an unspoken moment with a little girl. What Tarkovsky is indirectly and secretively saying can only be interpreted by his hardcore fans, not me.

His shots are supposed to be poetic, carrying a weight of art through the visuals than a series of plot points or dramatization. Duly noted and accepted. Does it reflect out here? Couple of shots did that, especially the kaleidoscope reflections of various happenings behind the back ground of Sasha through numerous mirrors. Collage of those images does have those artful punctuations but sadly does not last. We drool through the uninteresting after noon session of hot sun, rain and the sullen evening effects with nothing but couple of dialogues between these new friends.

I have nothing more to add and it has lot to do with the short period of the film. There is not much of significant importance which got captured by my sleepy eyes. I am slowly giving up on Tarkovsky films as it marks to be not one of the areas of my brain to be interested for its abstract boredom. Apart from the short time period of the film causing the short review, there is not much to add either.

5 comments:

mathi said...

Am a huge fan of Certain movies of Tarkovksy but i have also felt that sometime he is interminably boring.I feel the best thing to do is get back to his works after certain point of time.I have felt the same way with few books, books which i had given up few years back when read now are very revelatory in nature.Just a suggestion there :), Tarkovsky deserves a better deal u know :)

Howard Roark said...

Ashok,
I knew already that U r "Thick-Skinned' but its a fact to me that even Ur skull is made up that way!!!! :-)

I completely agree with Mathi's point. (I have no clue on who Tarkovsky is) Some books require a certain maturity and I am sure this phenomenon is applicable for movies as well.

Cheers,
Nagesh

Karthik said...

Mathi...I want to contradict,his shots are poetic accepted ,i watched Nostalghia with immense patience knowing its pace from u ,but i was not able to resist with its characters standing like a statue not speaking or moving.I liked the movie for many things camera,visuals and long silenced shots,but to enjoy it the movie killed my patience .

Ashok said...

Mathi/Nagesh,

What you say is true. As Roger Ebert has said "Movies does not change, People Change" which might make me appreciate more of the blandness and boring nature in his movies. I am someone who expects every movie to have some aspects of beauty to be appreciated. Infact thats the reason I love PT Anderson's direction which might not have a traditional layout but has a character study and presentation of high aesthetic sense. Sadly I dont see that in Tarkovsky's movies. Let us see, I still have not given up even though this film pushed it up.

Karthik,

Sometimes, it does take a while to admire certain movies. I did not like "Requiem for a Dream" but playing it back several times made me love it. It did not happen with his movies but you never know :-).

mathi said...

I was reading the works of a writer where he had quoted these lines of Bertrand Russell, perhaps contextually makes sense here ..

"When the public do not understand Theory of Relativity they come to the conclusion that their education has been insufficient.Whereas when they do not understand a picture or a poem they conclude that it is a bad picture or a bad poem"